[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Who to Approach for Funding


  • Hot Courses Scholarship Search website allows people to search for a variety of scholarships and funding organisations.
  •  "New Deal 50 Plus" through Job Centre Plus is for those aged over 50 who have been claiming benefits for more than 6 months. You can also apply for an in-work Training Grant of up to 1,500 when you get a job through New Deal 50 plus.
  • Job Centre Plus also provide training grants of up to 750 for employers who employ someone through the New Deal 25 Plus or New Deal for Young People schemes


  • The rapid response service (RRS) team in your region based at Job Centre Plus can help people facing redundancy or in the first 13 weeks of redundancy with training and job search support. They asses you on an individual basis to see if you are eligible to funding for retraining. (This is relevant to employers with 20 or more staff who are making the workforce redundant.) Contact your local office to discuss this.
  • Train to Gain contribute towards wages for staff in England who work in small businesses (under 50 employees) and need to spend time away for training
  • Partnership for Learning (P f L) support businesses and provide bursary funding for people in South Merseyside
  • Better West Midlands Redundancy Support Project assists people made redundant from the manufacturing industry
  • The aim of the Regional Skills fund is to provide development of employees across the North East. The fund will be able to support flexible, non-accredited bespoke training courses that are not currently funded under any other publicly administered fund, ensuring that businesses have the required skills within their organisation to compete in today's marketplace. Support from this fund is available across all sectors and size of companies with the exception of those individuals who work for public sector organisations. Under this fund they will also provide support to those individuals who are currently working for a North East based small to medium sized enterprise and are threatened with redundancy, to ensure that they have the required skills to move to new employment as quickly as possible. Visit www.businesslink.gov.uk/northeast & the North East England Investment Centre service, visit www.neeic.co.uk


There are a variety of organizations that provide funding or loans for people in Scotland :


  • "ReAct" the redundancy action fund from the Welsh Assembly Government provide funding of up to 2,500 for people made redundant. They also provide funding for employers to go towards the cost of job related training.
  • GO Wales provide funding for graduate employees of SMEs towards training. For NQF Level 3 or training which doesn't bear qualifications they will fund courses over 175 for 50% of the fees, up to 500. For NQF Level 4 or above (such as the NEBOSH Certificate) GO Wales will fund 50% up to a maximum of 1500.

Various organisations provide funding for training for people who have worked or made redundant in different sectors:   

  • The CITB Construction Skills Grant Scheme provide grants to employers to help develop training
  • The ECITB (Engineering Construction Industry Training Board) provide skill enhancing grants to those in the engineering construction industry

Funding available for the Forces/ Ex Forces

  • The British Legion provide advice on available funding for unemployed ex-Service people
  • All Forces Leavers after serving a minimum of 3 years are entitled to two weeks leave or work placement to find work.
  • After serving nine years, Force Leavers are entitled to 7 weeks leave and 4786 to carry out a resettlement course this is inclusive of any accommodation charges.
  • All members of the forces are entitled to 2600 per year (this doesn't roll over) extended learning credits. This can be used for career courses, academic courses or courses the forces think will help at a unit level.
  • For information about Individual Resettlement Training grants for ex-Armed Forces Service people visit the ELCAS website. Or for further details on using Learning Credits with Individual Resettlement Training Costs (IRTC) click here.  
  • The Career Transition Partnership website also has useful information for Service Leavers


[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]